Wednesday, June 04, 2008

response

Doug Kmiec Reaffirms Endorsing Sen. Barack Obama - Catholic Online
This article is the best answer I have to the question of how I can support Obama and be true to my Catholic beliefs.

Some comments in addition (read the article first):
The bottom line is that I'm unconvinced McCain would make any real progress against abortion, and meanwhile a variety of other policies of his, especially his welfare reform ideas, would directly increase suffering in the United States. It's not that I don't like McCain- I do. I just don't think he could affect the kind of change Obama will be able to.

Then there's the fact that Obama is the closest thing the US has ever seen to a second Jimmy Carter, and a little bit of peace and human rights love in the oval office right now would do a lot of good internationally.

1 comment:

  1. My soul cries.

    Any man who thinks abortion is a morally acceptable option (and Obama has stated that if his daughters "make a mistake they shouldn't have to be punished" for it, is saying that he thinks it's acceptable to kill his grandchildren (or children for that matter) if they happen at an inconvenient time.

    That makes Obama pretty suspect on every aspect of his decision-making, his integrity, his ability to represent this country--in fact, his sincerity for making change. It disgusts me. It disgusts me more than a third term for Bush and a prolonged war.

    This guy's article is a rationalization for why he's making a choice that is startlingly against the tenets of Catholicism. CCC#1789: one may never do evil so that good may result from it.

    I am unimpressed with politicians in general, and both Obama and McCain specifically. In the end, the best we can all do is vote with our conscience.

    ReplyDelete